Crown and Bough

Sunday 11 March 2018

4 Branches of the Mabinogion




The Welsh learners' eisteddfod is imminent, and I've volunteered for not one, not two, but three competitions!  One of them is a photography division.  The theme is chwedlau (tales), four photographs per entry.  I chose to represent the four branches of the Mabinogion, after the earliest written prose stories of Britain.  There are eleven stories that vary according to manuscripts, but the four branches are always present, and are loosely connected.

Instead of depicting the specific tales, I wanted something abstract.  The figurative branches are depicted literally, with a pale string, sometimes indiscernible, running throughout, for the thread of the story connecting the tales together.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Christie! Best of luck with the contests! Those photos are beautiful. The Mabinogion has been sitting on my shelf unread for a few years now. You inspire me to pick it up finally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! I got second place! Maybe we can chat about the Mabinogion some time?

      Delete